Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven years...


September 11, 2001.
September 11, 2008.

Seven years after the attacks, and in a lot of ways, we're still reeling in this country. The pain is still fresh, the wounds continue to fester, and the butcher's bill continues to rise.

The economy, despite what certain politicians will tell you, remains at an all time low down here on the ground - away from those ivory towers in Washington. Fuel in Chicago is still over $4/gallon. Even though unemployment is rising, Corporate America continues to export jobs to 3rd world countries.

There are those who say life is improving seven years later. Can someone please explain to me how? And where?

Down here on the ground, I've been looking for work since April of this year. After more than five solid months, I finally managed to land a part-time job that pays $8.20/hour. I am hoping to find a second job to dovetail into the first so that I can manage to pay at least some bills - like my rent, for instance - on a timelier basis than I have of late.

As of this writing, I have managed to raise $120 to apply to my $545 monthly rent bill. I am hoping I'll be able to "cop a little understanding" from my landlord since I will be starting my part-time job next week, but I can't count on it.

Tomorrow I return to the harvest. I still need little things like D batteries for my flashlight, toilet paper, fuel - all those things Food Stamps won't buy. Hopefully, tomorrow's harvest will be a large & successful one, though with the recent downturn in temps, I tend to doubt it will be...

With the new job I have hope...

...just not very much. The return trip is such a long & weary uphill climb.

Back to the Harvest...

No comments: