Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Hiring Process

Yep, that’s me in the picture at left. For the first time since 1973, I’m allowing my naked face to shamelessly hang out where anybody can see it. I shaved my beard off on the advice of several friends, as well as some Job Hunting Tips I found online.

I didn’t want to do it. I’m not at all comfortable being clean shaven, but apparently in this country having a full beard, no matter how neatly groomed, means you don’t get hired. Apparently job skills and experience are as nothing compared to your ability in applying a shaver to your face each morning...

Now, to get onto the meat of this post. First, let me say I’m old fashioned. I believe in work and in working. I actually enjoy having somewhere to be and something to do on a regular basis that actually, in some small way, matters. If it also pays the bills, so much the better.

I do not believe in freeloading or getting a “free ride.” At least not once you past your majority or have attained your educational goals, whatever they may be. Once you're an adult, have acquired whatever training you felt necessary, it's time you start taking charge and meet life's little challenges head on. That's what grown ups do.

I can’t remember a time, from 16 years of age on that I did not have job of some kind. Until I hit 19 they were all part time jobs because of school, but I was working. Once I hit 19 and had to leave University, I’ve consistently held a full-time job in one field or another.

Stockboy, cashier, retail salesman, night watchman, mover, bartender, laborer, clerk, typist, shipping & receiving, management, Office Manager, courier, photographer. I’ve filled store’s shelves, dug ditches, loaded trucks, supervised a busy Loop office, driven professionally, poured booze into drunks, painted fences, walked dogs and photographed the occasional wedding.

I am computer literate, proficient in the use of Word, Excel, Works, & Outlook. I’m a quick learner when it comes to almost any software package, and as a special bonus, I type at a very respectable 75 wpm.

I have had managerial experience which included scheduling personnel, apportioning assignments, maintaining office supply inventories and Customer Service. I have billed customers & logged in those customers’ payments, as well as prepared their monthly statements.

On the other end of the spectrum, my health is excellent. I don’t consider myself “too good” for blue collar work. Indeed, manual labor has made up a great deal of my working experience. I would welcome some today, as a matter of fact.

I’m a good photographer & competent Photoshop mechanic. With one notable exception, every image in this blog was taken by myself. I may not be the world’s best photographer, but I do have a good eye and a passion for the craft.

You may garner from the above that I’ve led a somewhat varied & interesting professional life. You’re right, I have. Primarily because I’ve never worried overmuch about what work I did, as long as it allowed me to pay my bills and live in dignity. I’ve never been overly concerned about status or appearances. All I’ve ever wanted or demanded was a fair & honest wage in return for a fair and honest day’s work.

That seems to be the impossible dream, however.

I have been searching for employment since April to no avail. I’ve been online with CareerBuilder, Monster, Yahoo’s HotJobs and a dozen other work sites. I’ve answered the classified ads in the newspaper by emailing my resume or applying in person, depending on the ad’s instruction.

Since April, I’ve scheduled more than 4 dozen interviews. All but five were pointless efforts, however. The positions had been filled before I arrived – on time – for my scheduled appointment. Of the five that actually did come to pass, I was told to call back within a set period of time at each to inquire as to their decision. Nobody ever bothered to accept or return my calls, which I suppose is a fair indication of their decision.

I’d like to additionally note that not one of the employers who filled the advertised position prior to my interview had the courtesy to call & cancel our appointment. Instead they informed myself & every other applicant on our arrival, thus allowing each of us to waste time & other resources we can ill afford. The price of gas today ain’t cheap folks, and this practice of allowing applicants to waste what precious resources they have left is nothing less than an exercise in applied arrogance.

One of the most infuriating aspects of this job hunt is Corporate America’s insistence that applications be made on-line only. Fine and dandy practice for them, but it amounts to little more than a shot in the dark for applicants. We have no way to confirm the application arrived, whether it was reviewed by a live person or if it got dumped into a “holding tank” for ‘x’ many days before being flushed to make room for the next batch.

Employers do not let the applicants know the application has been received. Nor do they post a contact name on the job advertisements to follow up with after a period of time. The applicant is literally left in limbo not knowing whether he’s making progress towards employment or simply spinning his digital wheels to no good purpose.

In the meantime, expenses continue. Rent, food, fuel, laundry… Savings run out, friends and family start to shun you, refusing to take or return your calls. Food becomes scarce, your home is in jeopardy, utilities are cut off. And still no hope on the horizon, no matter what you do or where you turn.

Welcome to The Aluminum Harvest, my friends…

No comments: